Sunday, January 8, 2012

Does anyone have any experience with a Ford Escape and towing travel trailers? I am looking to tow 2700 lbs.?

I know the towing capacity is 3500 lbs but I have been advised to not go over about 2700lbs.|||Okay, I've had pickups all my life and decided this year to go with a Jeep Liberty Diesel (5,000 lbs. tow weight). My experience in towing is above average, so I will pass along what my Dad taught me. If your vehicle can tow 3500 lbs., you don't want to exceed 2/3 of that weight for any long distances, don't push the vehicle up hills, stay about 50 to 55 mph and stop and check the truck and trailer out every two or three hours in a long tow. Also, your hitch is a class II, meaning that it has a "tongue weight" max of 350 lbs. The tongue weight refers to the amount of force in pounds that the trailer and cargo exert on the forward part of the trailer, the hitch, and the hitch ball and metal bar, the tongue, on your vehicle. This should be listed in your owner's manual of your Escape and whatever you are towing. By the way, what are you towing?|||The car manufacturer sets the max towing capacity to be within safety guidelines,so hook it up and go.

No comments:

Post a Comment