Thursday, January 19, 2012

Has anybody ever redone the interior of a travel trailer?

Im looking at a travel trailer that needs work on the interior. I am a pretty handy guy And I figure I can do the work myself. I guess what I am wondering is what materials a required and what are some of the pitfalls. It is a 79 that wasnt maintained so I am pretty sure ther is a lot of work to be done. I may have to gut the whole thing. Oh yea its 27' long.Has anybody ever redone the interior of a travel trailer?
I have a 76 model 35 foot fifth wheel I'm working on luckily though it was in good condition. The main things I have run into is rotting spots from water leak. Seems like all the demention are different from regular home work. I cool sealed the top then about a month later I cool sealed it again. that took care of the leaks. Now I don't know exactly what you plan to do but I put a regular house refrigorator and toliet . If you do this make sure you secure the real good so they will hold up the travel pressure. Travel Trailers connection can't handle the extra wieght by themselves. Also make sure all cabinet keep travel trailer door latches. Just keep in mind the pressure that happen during movement and make sure you take measures to help prevent but be careful not to wiegh it down to much cause the suspension won't hold up. by the way the good thing is the older models like we have are built tougher.Has anybody ever redone the interior of a travel trailer?
I have done one. It was a 88. It was shaped like a rectangle, for the most part. So I took it apart like a box the top the sides the floor.



I replaced all the wood 1x1's all the insulation, all the electrical, all the gas/waste lines. Replaced the bearings, rebuilt the floor. Undercoated the frame. Painted the alluminum sides/top. Screwed everything back together while applying sealent where needed.



It was a lot of work and took a lot of time for something that only gets used a couple of times a year. But, I saved a lot of cash by doing it by myself insted of buying a new one.



If you have the time/room to do it. It is fairley easy. You just need to weigh how much your time is worth to rebuild the camper against how much a new/newer camper will cost.



I got the one that I gutted for free. So, after $1500 in new materials and about 70 hours I had a like new camper.



If you do decide to do it. Take photos. If you decide to sell it later on(as with any thing) photos will help.



GoodluckHas anybody ever redone the interior of a travel trailer?
you just have to start in and go, however where i am located campers in better shape, are cheaper than a complete remodel job. you can look online for bluebook prices, and adjust your costs as how much money you may be getting into.
Unless you plan on keeping it for yourself, and the pride of saying I did that, it isn't going to be worth the work you put into it, especially if you attempt to sell it.

BY all means do it if you have the space to work, tools to MAKE what you need, and the required skills. Be prepared to search for the hard to find parts. The economy is going to be your biggest adversary.

Don't start anything your neighbors will object to.

No comments:

Post a Comment